Blackpool is celebrating LGBT History Month this February by lighting up its most famous landmark.
The illuminated heart on The Blackpool Tower will shine in rainbow colours throughout month to celebrate Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans History Month.
There will also be a series of events throughout the town designed to promote LGBT issues.
Cllr John Jones, who is responsible for diversity and equality at Blackpool Council, said: “I’m proud that Blackpool is a welcoming and tolerant town for all.
“For many years now this council has supported LGBT History Month and worked to create a society whereby people are not typecast by their sexuality.
“I’m delighted that, yet again, we have secured a national landmark to broadcast this important message and am sure that this will give extra recognition to such an important issue.”
As well as lighting up the Tower, there will also be a series of events to mark the month which are being run by Blackpool Council and Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde LGBT Forum and a rainbow flag will fly at the Town Hall throughout February.
There will be a local history display which is touring the Fylde coast.
The display will be on show at the following venues and dates:
- Blackpool Central Library, Queen Street from Sunday 1 February until Sunday 9 February and then from Saturday 15 February until Friday 21 February
- St Annes Library, Clifton Drive South, from Monday 10 February until Friday 14 February
- Fleetwood library, North Albert Street, from Saturday 22 February until Friday 28 February
The display will be complimented by special “Living Library” events where local historians can help guide visitors through a display all about the Fylde coast’s LGBT heritage.
They take place at:
- Central Library on Tuesday 18 February, 12-3pm
- St Annes Library on Tuesday 11 February, 12-3pm
- Fleetwood Library on Tuesday 25 February, 12-3pm
And for those with a particular interest in the history of Blackpool are bound to be excited by a LGBT History Month tour of the Winter Gardens.
Taking place on February 13 at 6.30pm this tour will take you behind the scenes at the historic Grade II listed venue to discover fascinating stories from days gone by.
For tickets, please sign up via: www.lgbtblackpool.eventbrite.co.uk
Please note that this event replaces the February LGBT Forum meeting forum meeting.