Liverpool City Council’s Adult Learning Service (ALS) is offering free open days in September to enrol learners onto exciting new courses.
The ALS will be hosting a number of open days and evenings across the city to provide the opportunity to talk to tutors and guidance officers about the types of courses on offer and what they can do in terms of helping employment and learning new skills.
It could be that you are:
- Looking for work and need new/more qualifications to get a job
- Trying to get back in to work and would like some guidance about the next steps to take
- In a job but would like to further your career and need extra studying/qualifications to do so
- Wanting to learn a new skill for your own personal interests
Councillor Nick Small, cabinet member for employment and skills, said: “We are changing the way we deliver our service to ensure we are supporting the needs of local people who are trying to get into work. Perhaps you are taking your first steps back into learning or are wanting to progress onto a further qualification to improve your employability skills. It could be you want to brush up on your English, maths and ICT knowledge, or improve your CV and/or interview technique.
“We also know that many people are looking to take a course for personal interests, such as a languages course or local history. We have lots to choose from and welcome you to join us for courses ranging from art, cookery and music through to local history and dressmaking.”
Open days and evenings are available to provide the opportunity to speak to a tutor or guidance officer about the courses that interest you, or to find out which courses are right for what you want to achieve. These are on offer at:
- Norris Green ALC – Monday 8 September to Friday 12 September from 9.30am – 3.30pm
- Newsham ALC – Monday 8 September – Friday 12 September from 9.30am – 3.30pm (open until 8.30pm Monday and Thursday); Saturday 13 September from 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Park Road ALC – Monday 8 September – Thursday 11 September from 9.30am – 8.30pm; Friday 12 September from 9.30am – 3.30pm
- Cavendish Drive ALC – Thursday 4 September from 9.30am – 4pm; Monday 8 September – Thursday 11 September from 9.30am – 3.30pm
- Granby Street ALC – Friday 5 September from 9am – 4.30pm; Monday 8 September – Friday 12 September from 9.30am – 3.30pm
- Childwall ALC – Monday 8 and Tuesday 9 September from 5.45pm – 8.30pm
- Broadgreen ALC – Tuesday 9 September and Wednesday 10 September from 5.45pm – 8.30pm
- Calderstones ALC – Wednesday 10 September and Thursday 11 September from 5.45pm – 8.30pm
- Alsop, Fazakerley and St Francis of Assisi ALC – Enrol at Newsham ALC on Monday 8 and Thursday 11 September from 6pm – 8.30pm
- Allerton Library – Enrol at Park Road on Monday 8 September from 9.30am – 12pm
The ALS is committed to providing an outstanding learning experience carried out by professional, friendly staff that are able to help carve out a personal progression pathway so that you are always clear about your next steps whether that is finding a job, setting up a business or helping with personal and social interests.
Over 10,000 people enrolled in courses last year, making ALS the largest community learning provider in Liverpool. Career-specific courses have been able to offer people the chance to qualify for a certificate in varying levels in their chosen field, for example up to a Level 3 certificate as an early years educator or a Level 3 Diploma in reflexology. Many people are also interested in taking a course for personal interests in anything from cake decorating to photography for beginners.
ALS can offer a brand new start to people struggling to find work due to a lack of qualifications and put them in a new financial situation as well as providing them with the knowledge and confidence to go forward in their lives and careers.
For further information, call 0151 233 3206 or log on to www.liverpool.gov.uk/learninliverpool