Shakespeare’s Globe is delighted to announce initial casting and locations for The Complete Walk, a series of 37 short films to be screened along London’s South Bank, Liverpool and in international locations, throughout the weekend of 23-24 April 2016, the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death.
The cast includes Simon Russell Beale, Zawe Ashton, Peter Capaldi, Dominic West, James Norton, Olivia Williams, Jonathan Pryce, Phoebe Pryce, Hayley Atwell, Meera Syal, Jamie Parker, Danny Sapani, Mel Giedroyc, Aidan Gillen, Joshua McGuire, Paul Chahidi, Pauline McLynn, Joseph Marcell, Kenneth Cranham, Tom Burke and many more.
At the heart of each ten-minute film will be brand new material, shot on location in a setting with particular historical and narrative resonance. Confirmed filming locations include Hampton Court Palace for Henry VIII,The Tower of London for Richard III, Westminster Abbey for Henry IV, The Houses of Parliament for Richard II, Areopagus Hill in Athens for Timon of Athens, the Forest of Ardennes in Belgium for As You Like It, Tomba di Giulietta in Verona for Romeo and Juliet and Kronborg Castle in Denmark for Hamlet.
As well as being screened along a 2 ½ mile stretch of the Thames between Westminster and Tower Bridge, The Complete Walk will also be exported to other cities around the country and the world. Confirmed hosts for the series of films thus far include Liverpool and Santa Barbara.
Each film, one for each of Shakespeare’s plays will be shown in venues throughout Liverpool city centre. A full list of venues, opening times and the locations of each play will be released in March. If you are venue and are interested in hosting a film please email email@example.com no later than 5pm Friday 26 February.
Assistant Mayor and Cabinet Member for culture, tourism and events, Councillor Wendy Simon, said: “It’s a huge coup for Liverpool to be the only city in the UK outside of London to host The Complete Walk.
“It’s wonderful to be able to work with venues across the city centre to mark the Bard’s anniversary, and I’m sure with the impressive cast list, thousands of people will take the opportunity to see as many, if not all, of the 37 short films as possible.”
Small, fleet-of-foot film crews have been flying around the world to capture performances against the original settings from Shakespeare’s global imagination. More casting and filming locations will be announced in the coming weeks.
Cast details to date are:
- Simon Russell Beale as Timon, filmed in Athens
- Peter Capaldi as Titus Andronicus, filmed in Rome
- Hayley Atwell as Innogen in Cymbeline, filmed in Milford Haven
- James Norton as Richard II, filmed in Westminster Hall
- Zawe Ashton, Joseph Marcell and Kenneth Cranham in scenes from King Lear on the Cliffs of Dover
- Jessie Buckley and Luke Thompson as Romeo and Juliet in the Tomba di Giulietta in Verona
- Dominic West as Coriolanus in Rome
- Lindsay Duncan in All’s Well That Ends Well, filmed in Roussillon
- Olivia Williams and Susannah Fielding as Olivia and Viola in Twelfth Night
- Jonathan Pryce and Phoebe Pryce as Shylock and Jessica, filmed in Venice’s historic Jewish Ghetto
- Aidan Gillen and Joshua McGuire in Measure for Measure, filmed in Liechtenstein Castle in Vienna
- Mel Giedroyc and Paul Chahidi in The Merry Wives of Windsor
- Jamie Parker as Henry V at Azincourt in France
- Meera Syal as Lucetta in The Two Gentlemen of Verona
- Danny Sapani as Henry VIII with Pauline McLynn and David Calder, filmed at Hampton Court
- David and Tom Burke as father and son in Henry VI Part 3, filmed at Towton Battlefield