THE team behind the UK’s biggest street theatre spectacular taking place in Liverpool are looking to recruit an army of 500 volunteers.
Preparations are well underway for Memories of August 1914, which will be this year’s national flagship cultural event – marking a centenary since the outbreak of the First World War.
The event will see the return of the Little Girl Giant and her playful pet Xolo explore the city streets, and the team behind the event are looking for around 500 people to volunteer for a wide variety of roles including:
- Runners/Production Assistants – taking on various roles during rehearsals
- Shuttle Drivers – to provide transport for staff during rehearsals and the show itself
- Interpreters – French speakers required to translate for the technical team
- Benevol Stewards – becoming part of the human cordon around the giants to allow them to move through the crowds
- Giant Operators (Lilliputians) – physically fit individuals required to move the giants along the streets
- Sound Engineers – working alongside the technical team to implement production requirements
- Pyro/Special Effects Assistants – working alongside the technical team
- General volunteer – to welcome visitors in the city centre and the communities which the giants will travel through and be on hand to answer any questions or queries from members of the public. These volunteers will also form part of the already established City Stars programme and there may be opportunities to work as part of the wider International Festival for Business programme (further announcements will be made in the next few weeks)
Assistant Mayor and Cabinet Member for Culture and Tourism, Councillor Wendy Simon, said: “There are so many different aspects to putting on a show like this and to make it a success it has to be one giant team effort. A hugely important aspect of this is the help we receive from members of the public.
“Since we announced the event in January we’ve already had more than 200 people volunteer which just goes to show the excitement and anticipation surrounding Memories.
“This is a unique opportunity to be part of what is set to be the biggest street theatre event in the UK this year. To play an integral role in the team delivering this spectacular will be an unforgettable experience for all involved.”
All volunteers need to be over the age of 18 at the time of the show. Please note, for some of the roles, not only will availability be required across the show (25-27 July) but they will also be required for rehearsals from early July.
To take part in this amazing huge event, download an application form from www.giantspectacular.com/get-involved. Deadline for applications is Sunday 1 June 2014.